Greenfields is a member of The Gun Trade Association

About Us

“The best clay pigeon shooting this side of London”

H S Greenfield & Son T/A Greenfields Shooting Ground is a third generation owner-managed business.

In 1926 Harold Greenfield, whose grandson Tim now runs the business, bought a gun shop in Upper Bridge Street, just outside Canterbury's city walls opposite the cattle market. The business was already well established having operated continuously there since 1805. Previous owners were Wm Green, James Adsett and Isaac Fox. Greenfields supplied a range of guns, hand-loaded shotgun cartridges, and related supplies and services to local farmers, landowners and shooting enthusiasts.

In a raid on Canterbury during the Second World War the Upper Bridge Street premises were completely destroyed by German Bombs. Harold Greenfield was previously an employee of the Kynoch ammunition factory and his skills were in loading shotgun cartridges. The stocks of powder in the shop no doubt considerably assisted the building's destruction. All that was left was the brass nameplate from the front door. This can still be seen today in the shop at Sturry.

Over the next 25 years, having moved into premises just around the corner in Dover Street, the business expanded by adding an angling department and also in 1947, in an old quarry, the present-day shooting ground on Sturry Hill.

In 1965 Alec Greenfield (second greneration) repurchased the original Upper Bridge Street site and built new retail premises, which now included an extensive country clothing department, in addition to the guns and fishing tackle.

Alec died in 1988 but had already been joined by his son Tim in 1970 who now took over the reins. in 1991, Tim significantly upgraded the facility for customers at Sturry by designing and building a new clubhouse and gunshop. Built of Norwegian spruce logs and with a traditional turf roof - 'green' ahead of its time in th UK - it was spacious, light and comfortable and included a clubroom/restaurant and bar.

This heralded the final move in 2002 when the Upper Bridge Street shop was closed and all the stock except the fishing tackle was transferred to the Sturry site.

Further development is continuing at Sturry. We have introduced automatic clay traps throughout the Shooting Ground and are constantly on the look-out for further improvements. We want to continue earning the acolade of 'The best clay pigeon shooting this side of London'.

We now have the pro-matic claymate system so you can now practice as an individual or party